In order to restore your mind and body, a good night’s rest is a must! Millions of people suffer from snoring and sleep apnea, but did you know you can get sleep apnea and snoring treatment from your dentist?
Dr. Ana Cluff and her team are here to help you get a good night’s sleep with oral appliances for snoring and sleep apnea.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
If you struggle with sleeping and have any of the following symptoms, sleep apnea may be the cause:
- Morning headache.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Impaired mental functioning.
- Excessive snoring.
- Awake with dry mouth.
- Gasping during sleep.
Dentists are often the first professional to be aware of potential sleep problems, because they are usually in contact with the patients more frequently than their physician. If you have the symptoms mentioned above, your dentist will send you to a sleep medicine specialist to be diagnosed. Depending on the severity of disorder, there are several different treatment options for sleep apnea.
Treatment Options for YOU
A person who only has mild sleep apnea may see a difference after making a few behavioral changes such as:
- Altering Sleep Position | If you currently sleep on your back, try sleeping on your side because it helps keep your airways open.
- Quitting Smoking | Fluid retention and the increased inflammation caused by smoking can contribute to sleep apnea.
- Losing Weight | Excess weight can cause a person to have extra tissue in the back of their throat, this can restrict the airway and block the flow of air while they sleep.
- Wearing a Dental Appliance | Your dentist, Dr. Ana Cluff, can customize an appliance that will assist the airflow in your mouth during sleep.
Learn How a Consultation with Your Dentist Can Help You Get a Good Night’s Sleep
Dr. Ana Cluff can customize a dental appliance to help with sleep apnea. Repositioning the jaw and tongue to improve airflow with a dental appliance for sleep apnea can be very effective. Our appliances are easy to wear, and customized for each patient. Call today to schedule an appointment at our Chula Vista or Lakeside location and get a better night’s sleep!